Forums » News and Announcements

How likely is your e-cigarette to explode?

    • 1209 posts
    May 10, 2019 4:56 AM EDT
    The case has made headlines around the world, and is believed to be the first death caused by vaping products in the US.

    The man, Tallmadge D'Elia, died at his home in Florida when his device
    blew up and projected fragments into his skull. He was said to have
    suffered burns over 80% of his body.
    But how common are these kinds of incidents?

    In the UK, Electronic Cigarette have caused burns and fires, yet these cases are rare.

    Experts say the man who died was using a particular kind of vape pen,
    known as a mechanical mod, which is not that common in the UK.Mechanical
    mods do not use inner circuitry to regulate the voltage, and most
    e-cigarettes have more built-in safety features. Yet even these safer
    products can cause burns or fires if incorrectly used.

    Mark Gardiner, lead officer for product safety at the Chartered Trading
    Standards Institute, explains: "Enthusiasts might experiment with
    different batteries and e-liquids to try and get the biggest vape. This
    can result in people building their own systems which can generate a lot
    of heat and then explode.

    "That said, even an unmodified product can go wrong, as can any product containing a lithium-ion battery. Vape Wholesale
    And if a battery fails and explodes then obviously it's an extra hazard
    if it's in your mouth."Fire services are reporting being called out to a
    small number of fires caused by exploding e-cigarettes usually as a
    result of using the wrong charger, over-charging the battery, or
    incorrectly storing it.

    Gary Asquith, station commander at West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue
    Service, says: "It's not the e-cigarettes that are unsafe in themselves,
    but the misuse of the lithium-ion batteries that they use."

    He recalls the case of a man whose spare e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket.

    "We posted a CCTV video of a man in Leeds who was carrying a spare
    battery for his e-cigarette in his pocket. It came into contact with a
    coin and a key, short-circuited and exploded.

    "Most people aren't aware that this might happen. You can get carry
    cases for your spare batteries which you should put them in if you are
    going to keep them in your pocket."

    Mr Asquith also says he's been called out to a number of house fires caused by incorrect charging of e-cigarettes.

    "If you buy an e-cigarette and it doesn't come with a charger, and then
    you buy a cheap one online, that is when you might see the lithium-ion
    battery overcharging and catching fire."In February, Public Health
    England commissioned a report into e-cigarettes and heated tobacco
    products. They found that there are three million users of e-cigarettes
    in the UK, compared with nine million cigarette smokers.

    The report noted: "Exploding e-cigarettes can cause severe burns and
    injuries that require intensive and prolonged medical treatment,
    especially when they explode in users' hands, pockets or mouths.

    "Incidents are very rare, the cause is uncertain but appears to be
    related to malfunctioning lithium-ion batteries."u2022eney7485yyWEEEEDD