Forums » News and Announcements

Coronavirus: China orders travellers quarantined amid outbreak

    • 1320 posts
    March 20, 2020 2:40 AM EDT
    Travellers from the virus hotspots of South Korea, Japan, Iran and Italy
    arriving in the capital will have to be isolated, a Beijing official
    has said.To get more news about shanghai quarantine, you can visit shine news official website.

    Shanghai and Guangdong announced similar restrictions earlier.

    Authorities are worried the virus might be imported back into the country.

    Although most virus deaths have been in China, Monday saw nine times more new infections outside China than in.

    Shanghai said it would require new arrivals from countries with
    « relatively serious virus conditions » to be isolated, without naming
    the countries.Authorities are also asking overseas Chinese to reconsider
    travel plans.

    « For the sake of your family’s health and safety, please strengthen
    your precautions, carefully decide on your travel plans and minimise
    mobility, » officials in one southern Chinese province said.

    China reported 125 new virus cases on Tuesday – the lowest number of new
    daily infections in six weeks. There were also 31 more deaths – all in
    Hubei province, where the virus emerged.There are now more than 92,000
    cases worldwide in about 70 countries, although the vast majority –
    about 87% – remain in China, and most of those are in Hubei province
    where the virus originated late last year.

    Of the roughly 12,000 cases outside mainland China, 81% are in four
    countries – Iran, South Korea, Italy and Japan.One of the countries
    worst affected outside China – Italy – said on Monday that the death
    toll there had risen by 18 to 52. There are 2,036 confirmed cases, most
    of them in the Lombardy and Veneto areas of the north. About 150 people
    are said to have recovered.

    However, the country is seeing a slowdown in new cases. On Monday, the
    authorities said there were 258 new cases of the virus – a 16% increase
    on the previous day – after new cases spiked by 50% on Sunday.

    On Tuesday, Iran said the latest death toll from the virus was 77 –
    although the real figure is believed to be much higher. More than 2,300
    people are said to be infected, including senior political figures. The
    head of Iran’s emergency medical services, Pirhossein Kolivand, was one
    of them, the Ilna news agency reported on Tuesday.

    Some 23 MPs are also reported to have tested positive for the virus, and
    an official close to the Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was
    reported on Monday to have died of the disease.

    Health officials in the US state of Washington said on Monday that four
    more people had died, bringing the total there to six. They are the only
    deaths in the US so far. Local officials say they are buying a hotel to
    convert it into an isolation hospital.